Fair Housing Rights

Fair housing is your right.

If you think you’ve experienced housing discrimination, click here to find local fair housing centers. These private, non-profit organizations provide assistance to persons who believe they have experienced housing discrimination. They may investigate your complaint and/or refer you to a government agency, either HUD or a state or local government fair housing agency. If there is no private fair housing organization in your state/locality, submit a preliminary intake form to NFHA. NFHA will review the information submitted and contact you. Click here to access the form.

Other Options for Filing a Complaint

You may file a housing discrimination complaint with HUD, via its website, on the telephone, or by mail. Click here to access HUD’s housing discrimination complaint page, which explains how to file a complaint and what happens when you file a complaint with HUD. HUD accepts complaints of housing discrimination related to race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including sexual harassment in housing situations), disability, and familial status (presence of children under the age of 18). You have one year from the most recent act of discrimination to file a complaint at HUD.

You may file a housing discrimination complaint with a state or local governmental fair housing agency. Find a list of state/local government agencies here. Complaints may also be filed in federal court. You have two years from the most recent act of discrimination to file in federal court. You will most likely need assistance from an attorney.

What if I need assistance with other housing related matters?

A good place to start is with your state/ local fair housing center. Many have additional programs that may provide housing counseling or landlord/tenant services. They are also connected with local community advocates and can refer you to the appropriate resources. If you are at risk of foreclosure or eviction, you may also contact a HUD-approved counseling agency in your area. Click here to search for HUD-approved counseling agencies.