NATIONAL FAIR HOUSING ALLIANCE POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Associate Director of Enforcement
National Fair Housing Alliance (NFHA) – Washington, D.C.
The National Fair Housing Alliance (NFHA) is a consortium of private, non-profit fair housing organizations from throughout the United States dedicated to promoting equal housing, lending, and insurance opportunities through education, enforcement, training, and research. Founded in 1988, NFHA is the only national organization dedicated solely to the eradication of housing discrimination in the United States.
NFHA is hiring a committed, experienced Associate Director of Enforcement to work with its enforcement team to develop innovative testing methodologies and to implement cutting-edge investigations into institutionalized, data-driven policies and housing practices that perpetuate residential segregation and limit or deny access to housing, home loans, or insurance.
Title: Associate Director of Enforcement
Salary: $50,000 or higher, commensurate with experience
Location: Washington, DC (moving subsidy available)
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Enforcement and Investigations
Deadline for Submission: Interviews for qualified applicants begin September 1, 2017; however the position will remain open until filled.
- A Bachelor’s degree is preferred; however, relevant experience and demonstrated success in fair housing investigation and enforcement may fulfill this requirement.
- At least three years of successful experience in fair housing investigation and enforcement
- Demonstrated capacity for successfully planning and managing simultaneous projects
- Familiarity with the Fair Housing Act, its implementing regulations, and fair housing case law
The Associate Director of Enforcement works with the Director of Investigations and Enforcement to implement multi-city investigations of rental, real estate sales, and mortgage lending policies and practices to eliminate unlawful housing discrimination and combat residential segregation. Evidence of discrimination gathered through investigations will be used as the basis for fair housing lawsuits and administrative complaints that seek to eliminate unlawful housing discrimination and remedy the harm it causes. This unique position will play a key role in enforcement actions that aim to dissolve residential segregation and eliminate barriers to housing choice.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrate commitment to NFHA’s mission and civil rights
- Develop and manage fair housing investigations, including testing investigations, across the county
- Gather, organize, and analyze data and evidence from myriad sources, including testing, property records, the U.S Census, the FFIEC, etc.
- Present investigation findings to staff and cooperating attorneys
- Assist in the preparation of fair housing lawsuits and administrative complaints and serve as a fact witness when necessary
- Recruit and train individual testers to assist with investigations
- Maintain organized investigation and case files and adhere to protocols for handling testing evidence
- Maintain detailed and accurate time records
- Engage in community education and outreach, and represent NFHA in a professional manner
- Actively participate in and lead staff, enforcement division and case meetings.
- Participate in professional development trainings
- This position requires overnight travel on average once monthly.
- This position requires flexibility to occasionally work weekends and evenings.
- Bi-lingual Spanish useful, but not required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Superb time management skills
- Experience with public speaking
- Attention to detail necessary
- Ability to adapt, change plans and be flexible on short notice in response to investigations
- Ability to work independently from remote locations without supervision
- Microsoft Office–strong proficiency and experience in working with Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Proficiency with searching for and extracting information from the internet, including publicly available data such as census data, property records, etc.
- Proficiency with various social media sites and communications apps
NFHA is an equal opportunity employer. Salary is commensurate with experience. NFHA provides excellent benefits, including major medical insurance, 403(b) contribution, and paid vacation, federal holidays, and sick leave.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
National Fair Housing Alliance
1101 Vermont Avenue, NW, Suite 710
Washington, DC 20005
NFHA provides excellent benefits, including major medical insurance, 403(b) contribution, and paid vacation, federal holidays, and sick leave. NFHA supports affirmative action and is dedicated to promoting equal employment opportunity. Please email your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. No placement agencies or telephone calls. Thank you.