NATIONAL FAIR HOUSING ALLIANCE POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Communications and Development Undergraduate Internship
National Fair Housing Alliance (NFHA) – Washington, D.C.
Founded in 1988, NFHA is a consortium of more than 220 private, non-profit organizations, state and local civil rights agencies and individuals from throughout the United States. Headquartered in Washington D.C., NFHA is dedicated to protecting the right to housing free from discrimination for all and achieves this mission through comprehensive education, advocacy, and enforcement programs.
The National Fair Housing Alliance (NFHA) seeks an undergraduate intern to assist with development and communications concerning fair housing, fair lending, and civil rights issues at the national level. The successful candidate will be assigned to specific projects for the duration of the internship, and they will report directly to NFHA’s Associate Director of Communications. The internship will be for the period of late-June through early August 2017.
Candidates must have a demonstrated commitment to civil rights, be independent and willing to take initiative, possess good writing skills, and be able to organize and prioritize work and meet deadlines. No experience necessary. Previous communications and development experience, or familiarity with digital media and content management systems.
Schedule is flexible. Stipend or college credit will be provided.
- Draft new web and social media content, graphics, petitions, and resource pages;
- Assist in building and maintaining media lists and monitoring of news coverage across online media outlets;
- Assist in developing first drafts of social media and blog content;
- Assist with production of special reports and publications; and
- Other communications tasks as assigned.
- Manage special projects and assist in the delivery of every project in a timely manner and within project budgets and scope
- Develop and maintain project work plans and timelines
- Coordinate with senior staff to fulfill project goals
- Write reports
- Other public policy tasks as assigned.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter describing your interest in the internship, along with a resume and 2 professional or academic recommendations to Jessica Aiwuyor at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Application: Communications and Development Undergraduate Intern” in the subject heading. No phone calls, please. Applications due by June 16, 2017.
The National Fair Housing Alliance is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that values and encourages diversity in its workforce and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability status, personal appearance, family responsibility, political affiliation or any other status protected by applicable law. People of color, women, LGBT applicants, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
NATIONAL FAIR HOUSING ALLIANCE POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Director of Finance
Title: Director of Finance
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Salary Range: DOE
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Location: Washington, DC
Closing Date: April 21, 2017
NFHA is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelors degree in accounting or related field, five years G/L level accounting experience, non-profit fund accounting experience, federal grant financial management experience, and very proficient in Microsoft Office products, especially Excel. Experience with Microsoft Great Plains accounting and with the Fair Housing Initiatives Program preferred. Must be highly organized and detail-oriented.
General Responsibilities: Manage full accounting functions, including Payroll, A/P, A/R, G/L, financial statement preparation, budgeting, investing, cash flow analysis, human resource management, audit preparation and grant financial management in accordance with the guidelines set forth in OMB Circulars A-110 and A-122, as well as the federal Super Circular. Supervise one staff accountant.
Brief Overview of Specific Duties:
- Prepare wage allocations in Excel for regular and temporary personnel for input into the general ledger. Reconcile per pay period invoices from the Payroll vendor.
- Supervise Staff Accountant, including reviewing accounts payable transactions and checking cost center allocations, etc.
- Reconcile monthly bank statements, including documentation of automatic deductions of insurance, payroll, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) payments and any tax payments.
- Prepare monthly balance sheet, income statement and investment reports for Board Finance Committee. Prepare cash flow analysis as requested.
- Prepare bi-weekly payroll, using a Timekeeping system to create the payroll data.
Reconcile any vacation, sick, holiday time allocations before entering the payroll. Reconcile payroll for input into a program that transfers the payroll information into the general ledger.
- Use Excel to reconcile Payroll vendor’s vacation and sick time balances.
- Supervise the preparation of HUD quarterly reports including the financial reporting Prepare financial reports for other grants as required.
- Create Excel spreadsheet information for legal case expenses, grant expenses, and interim reporting for grants.
- Analyze the organization’s insurance renewals, including health, dental, long term disability, business insurance, director and officers insurance, etc.
- Process employment forms for new hires and any terminations, including preparing portable insurance forms. Prepare forms for new employees including health insurance, dental insurance, retirement, etc.
- Reconcile fixed assets including monthly depreciation and year end book value, etc. using Excel spreadsheets.
- In preparation for the annual audit, reconcile all balance sheet subsidiary journals, prepare any accrued payroll details, and run the preliminary trial balance, balance sheet and the income statements.
Please email your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. No placement agencies or telephone calls. Thank you.
NFHA supports affirmative action and is dedicated to promoting equal employment opportunity.