October 2020 Update
The National Fair Housing Alliance (NFHA), the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF), Fair Housing Advocates of Northern California, and BLDS, LLC filed a federal lawsuit to challenge the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) recent reversal of long standing fair housing protections. Read the full press release here.
On October 26, 2020, the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts nationwide preliminary injunction blocking HUD’s new Disparate Impact rule. Read NFHA’s statement here.
September 2020 Update
HUD released its final Disparate Impact rule, which will make it eminently harder to challenge systemic racism by housing providers, financial institutions, and insurance companies that deprive people of the services and opportunities they need. Read NFHA’s full statement here.
July 2020 Update
Top mortgage lenders and industry leaders have come out urging HUD to reconsider its proposed disparate impact rule. Click here to read a joint press release that includes links to industry leaders’ letters to HUD and quotes from civil rights organizations.
In August 2019, HUD published a proposed rule that will drastically weaken the use of Disparate Impact theory in fair housing cases. Disparate Impact is a long-standing critical tool used to prevent housing discrimination. More than 45,000 comments were submitted opposing the administration’s proposal to dismantle Disparate Impact under the Fair Housing Act before the October 18, 2019 deadline. Click here to learn more about what’s happening, and get important resources and updates about our ongoing campaign to #DefendCivilRights.
- HUD’s Proposed Rule Is a Direct Assault on the Supreme Court’s Decision in Inclusive Communities
- How a Proposed Rule Would Make It Harder to Fight Housing Discrimination
- The Trump Administration’s Assault on Fair Housing
Olatunde Johnson and Michelle Aronowitz
- Understanding Disparate Impact
Alliance for Housing Justice
- Enterprise Strongly Opposes Proposed Revision to Final Disparate Impact Rule
- Why Trump’s Effort to Eliminate Disparate Impact Rules Is a Terrible Idea
Sarah Hinger, Staff Attorney, ACLU Racial Justice Program
- Amy Coney Barrett Could Bring Down Decades of Anti-Discrimination Law
- Lawsuit Challenges HUD’s Rollback Of Key Fair Housing Rule
- New federal rule will make it harder to challenge discrimination in the housing industry, lawsuits allege
The Washington Post
- HUD’s disparate impact rule is a ‘get out of jail free’ card